Thursday, July 7, 2011

Slather 'Em with Honey

The wine: A tall glass of cold, non-fat milk.
The song: Tupelo Honey, by Van Morrison.

A mountain of a man, really. Much too large for me to handle alone, never-the-less I do. Last week, during the first visit, he wore me out with well-worn tales of what he could not do and why. I left sad for him, wondering why so many people diminish themselves, telling themselves just-so stories of limitation and failure. A resolute refusal to dream, a mind closed to new possibility, wears me out, leaves me mute. For every suggestion, a reason why not. I know that people limit themselves in every way because of fear, and part of my job is to lead people through their fear. A good therapist keeps patients dancing on the edge of failure, without ever letting them fall, until, like Peter Pan, they fly. As I drove to my first appointment with him, my stomach tightened in anticipation. How could I convince this man to dance with me, to take a chance on something new, to give feeling better a chance?

As a child, I used to hear the phrase, "You'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." Congenital smart-mouth that I was, I would calmly look up from my book and say, "And why...exactly...would I want to catch...flies?" I got sent to my room a lot as a child. As I became an adult, I never really got the hang of "sweet talking" anyone into doing something they didn't want to do. It seemed like a cheat, a compromise, dishonest. Plus I never had to. I simply presented a logical argument and expected the other person to do the same. Either you agree, or you don't, no harm no foul. Don't want to participate? That's fine. There's a hundred behind you. Or, I'll do it on my own. That's fine too. A former boss of mine, whom I shall always think of lovingly as The Gentleman from Tennessee, used to drawl (as only he could), "Ms. Fuqua-Whitley, you do not suffer fools gladly." To which I replied, "Dr. X, I do not suffer fools at all." To this day I miss that man. Ah, we were a good team.

But you can't do therapy with a patient who will not participate, so in the fine wine vintage of my middle-age, I am learning to sweet-talk. Today, I surprised even myself. By the end of the session, I had this giant of a man, and his lovely, grateful wife, eating out of my hand. I anticipated needs. I led him to the dance floor. I remembered likes, dislikes. Dare I say? I wooed. He purred. He did his exercises. He implemented my safety suggestions, because they came out of his own mouth. It was a tango of therapeutic perfection. I had what I believe is colloquially called, "a little South in my mouth."

Oh, yes ma'am I did. Sweet as Tupelo Honey.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a man who has suffered long in ignorance. I feel for people in his shoes. Sometimes, for some people (sometimes for me), the hardest thing can be to believe things could ever be better. It may be the definition of a fool, one who stumbles onward in ignorance in the face of proffered wisdom. If so, it might help the wise person offering help, if they know that the trouble with fools is they have not learned to recognize a good source from the many bad sources they have taken to heart in the past. Yet they might still be helped, if persuaded to hope. And they might become a little less foolish thereby. At least that's what I would hope, were I in his shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing comments, Robert, thank you! This I will carry with me when next I see this patient. It encourages me to keep using my voice, even though sometimes it seems like no one is listening. Comments like these encourage me to keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Les Miserables, Victor Hugo:
    "Certainly, and we do not wish to pretend otherwise, the observant physiologist would have seen irremediable misery there, would perhaps have felt sorry for this man made sick by the law, but we would not even have attempted a cure; he would have averted his gaze from the bottomless pit he had glimpsed in that soul, and like Dante at the gates of hell, he would have erased from that existence the word that the finger of God nonetheless writes on the forehead of every man: Hope!"

    Nonetheless, foolhardy clinician physiologist that I am, I am attempting a cure, a remediation. I think it is not always the present pain that limits us, but the memory of pain, the memory of what hurt us before.

    I now have my next topic Robert. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete