Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Show Me Your Teeth

The wine: A favorite smoky Malbec, that makes me think of the train ride through South America that I have been dreaming about ever since I can remember.
The music: Teeth, by Lady Gaga

A week of fencing breakthroughs. First, I have been battling a small but nagging injury in my fencing arm, and this week I have had the first pain free days I have had for at least 4 months. Pain free days. I have not had to ice. I have not had to turn my head away quickly so my patients will not see the tears when I feel the pain. I am still wearing a brace at work and while fencing, but today, a pain free day. My grip is stronger and I am not dropping cups anymore. I am ready to sing for joy.

Fencing bouts are getting much stronger, also worth singing about. A few days ago at the club, lost 10-8, down by two. Then I lost 15-14, but I came back five touches in a row. I mean, I was fierce in that bout. It felt SO good. My arms responded. My legs responded. My head responded. My touches were intentional, I had blade control. My finger control is much stronger, so my forearm extensors have to work less, which improves my lateral epicondylitis. Oh what joy! My arm is finally extending before I lunge, I am leading with my arm instead of my leg after weeks of working on it. I see more openings, mistakes my opponent is making. Footwork is getting faster. It is fresh and fun and immediate again, and I am no longer operating under a raincloud of pain.

The lesson to think about this week: Don't go searching for your opponents blade. If you can't see the tip, back up. You need to know where the threat is coming from to know how to parry. Can I take it in 6? 8? 4? 7? Free the arm and the legs will follow. Free the mind and the body will follow.

Free. Ready. En guarde. Show me your teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment