Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Law of Attraction

The music: Reina de la calle, by Orishas is the sound of "flow". I "discovered" this wonderful French Cuban Rap group a couple of summers ago when I was living in Jacksonville, Florida. Listening to it takes me back to that wonderful time, a time when I did exactly what I wanted, when I wanted, where I wanted to do it and with whom. I learned Salsa, ate tuna steaks and fruit every night, drank red wine and coconut water, ran because it felt so good to my body, hit A1A with a camera, a notebook, and a free spirit. I never wanted that feeling to end, and then I discovered, it didn't have to. Free your body and your mind will follow. Free your mind, and you're in for the ride of your life.

I've been thinking a lot today about The Law of Attraction. You know, that New Age idea that has had a lot of press recently, that basically states that what we think about, we attract into our lives. I've always been interested in these ideas, but I'm also a scientist. A part of me understands metaphysical ideas, feels them to have merit, experiences them as true and valid in my own life. Another part of me wants solid proof, a biological mechanism, a chemical equation. I may never get that. And yet, I continue to have experiences that seem to support the notion. Coincidence? Is there really such a thing? I'm not so sure anymore.

This morning as I rode the elevator down to my car, I started going through my mental checklist of my day. Things to talk to my director about, things to talk to my receptionist (and by receptionist, I mean Miracle Worker!) about, clinical issues, marketing issues, space and equipment needs, my new patient load...and suddenly, a shiver ran up and down my spine. Literally. I stopped dead in my tracks, and I thought, "My God. I got everything I asked for." And tears of joy spilled over, and I started laughing, right there on the second floor of the underground parking garage.

And I realized, it was all there. I'm doing what I want, where I want, with the people I want to do it with. I have exactly, exactly the opportunities for growth that I wanted. I have the level of responsibility I wanted, and the level of support that I needed. I have an incredible group of people to work with, learn from, and high five at the end of the day. The patients I am serving have an incredibly rich history that is so inspiring, the companies I work for are in line with my moral, ethical and professional beliefs. My learning curve has gone up at an exponential rate, I am already getting leadership opportunities. I get to practice, indeed build a specialty clinic, in exactly what makes me feel like a rock star. I got exactly what I wanted, the best possible version of what I envisioned. And incredibly (I almost hate to say this) it practically fell into my lap. I made a call, rather on a whim, because suddenly it seemed right. And the rest is history. Or, is it destiny?

These days, I'm having a hard time telling the difference. But here's what I know for sure. Ask and ye shall receive. Knock and the door will be opened unto you. My God, it really is true.

Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.

3 comments:

  1. "Reina de la Calle" by Orishas.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtkX5AEy7dQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has my eyes filled with tears and my heart filled with inspiration...I am totally in love with your Life...not in the stalker-ish "I want to be you" way but the "I am so completely filled with joy for you" way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karin what a beautiful comment! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete