Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Tribal Wanderer

"The snowflakes fall, as winter calls, and time just seems to fly...Is it the loneliness in me that makes me want to cry?" - Whispering Pines, by Johnny Horton

Although I've always said that home is wherever I hang my stethoscope, lately I've begun to wonder if that is true. My entire life I have been the one who leaves, and I have liked it that way; jobs, towns, schools, groups, friends, organizations. I pack my little red suitcase like I used to pack my little red wagon, and I ease on down the road. New experiences call to me like the sirens called Odysseus; countries I have not seen, skills I have not mastered, wines I have not tasted. I have always viewed my life as incredibly short, and in my heart I know that one hundred years will not be enough time to experience all that I want to experience. I'm secretly hoping the Hindus are right and I get several lives, because there are so many things I will not get to do in this one. Like the clever north wind in the movie Chocolat and the people it influenced, I disappear from pictures, lives and memory. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I am a tribal wanderer. And now, much to my own surprise, I am about to wander home.

Is there something deeper in us than we know that defines home? Something that calls us home on a cellular level? Something that is always there, no matter how far away we travel, no matter how long we stay away? What is it that calls me back to this place? They are my earliest sense memories, but is that it? With each passing year, I find myself less willing to spend any time or energy on experiences, places or people that don't feel right. Who among us really knows how much time we have allotted to us? Why spend it in the wrong place? No place else has ever smelled right, although they smell good in their own right. Other places have felt good, and I've enjoyed them. But they have not been home.

For there is something about the pine trees there that looks right to me. The way the top of the Western Hemlock tilts over slightly, branches held at honest Charlie Brown angles. The way the mist hangs in the air and the way the sea smells when I stand beside it. The way dark falls early in the winter, wrapping me in a blanket of night as I read the thoughts of centuried others, and try to write my way into, and out of, my own. The slick of the roads as I drive to the coast, a plaid thermos of hazelnut coffee on the car seat beside me, singing the Johnny Horton songs my grandparents used to sing, and that I now play out into the darkness of heaven in hopes they might hear. The smell of a smokehouse full of fish caught that day, moss on the fallen trees on a wooded path that looks like a dinosaur might wander through. The first strawberries of June, the first snowfall in late Autumn. The first time I felt I might want to stay somewhere, and the first time I admitted it.

4 comments:

  1. "Who among us really knows how much time we have allotted to us? Why spend it in the wrong place?"
    Amen! We tend to pick up and move about every 4 years. (and no we aren't military) I feel like I am constant searching for somewhere that makes me feel like I belong. We moved here to OK in 2008 so you know what that means. The itch has started creeping in. I still am undecided if this is our forever place. I think if it was, I wouldn't be questioning it....right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, the itch. I know it well. I sometimes manage seven years, sometimes only one. But I've come to look on it as a good thing. Perhaps some of us are born to wander, and at least with each other, we belong. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of the places I've been in the world, one stands out as an eerie memory: Hobart, Tasmania. As my ship pulled into harbor, it was overcast with a mist in the air and a very slight chill in the air. I felt as if I'd been there before. I spent a weekend there and immediately connected with the local people. By the time I left I felt like I could have stayed there and lived the rest of my life in complete satisfaction. I've never felt that before or since, anywhere. I still want to go back one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. Makes me want to look up Tasmania and know more about it.

    ReplyDelete